SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#109725 - 02/12/07 03:28 PM Yamaha MM6 "MiniMo" Arrived!
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
My first two MM6 keyboards came in today. I've had a chance to play a little. It's just like any Yamaha PSR or DGX type keyboard in it's structure. The keyboard is a breeze for me to play because of my arranger knowlege.
The sounds are part PSR and part Motif. Mega sounds, Sweet sounds, cool sounds are here.
The addition of Yamaha's arpeggiator is nice for the mega guitar sounds. Strums and fingerpicking is easy when using the Arpeggios. You can split, layer and play patterns in fingered mode quite easily. The styles are arranged first as complete styles with multiple tracks, then the same with bass and drums and then the same with drums only.
The performance memory has 3 banks where you can save what style, sounds, splits, layers and tempos.
the song mode works like the DGX. You can record your pattern and then 7 more tracks.
It's extremely light weight and looks very pro and is priced very affordably.

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
www.kayesmusicscene.com
(Retired 2021)

#109726 - 02/12/07 03:59 PM Re: Yamaha MM6 "MiniMo" Arrived!
miden Offline

Loc: The World
and george i think you should add that there are no intros and endings on any of the styles/patterns, no variation to styles apart from one generic "fill" button, no user editing and no storage..plus the chord recognition engine does not see slash chords...

#109727 - 02/12/07 04:06 PM Re: Yamaha MM6 "MiniMo" Arrived!
tom moon Offline

Loc: Haddonfield, NJ, USA
Here's a question on the MM6 I can't seem to answer looking at the manual: does it have any kind of "swing" quantize? ie, is it possible to change the feel of an onboard pattern?

was very surprised to see in the manual that because of the way they split the styles (as George described above, w/ full orch, just bass and drums, just drums), there are really only 56 different patterns.

will it read/play midi styles off a usb stick I wonder....

#109728 - 02/12/07 04:07 PM Re: Yamaha MM6 "MiniMo" Arrived!
tom moon Offline

Loc: Haddonfield, NJ, USA
and actually, miden, according to the pdf version of the manual there ARE variations, four per style just like the psr 3000...

#109729 - 02/12/07 06:39 PM Re: Yamaha MM6 "MiniMo" Arrived!
miden Offline

yeah tom i think you might be right on that oops!!, but there are still no intros/endings..and if its anything like the es series arps, when you switch it off it just cuts off immediately!!! very unnatural....hence the need for at least endings..its a computer tool really, i would not imagine it being very good for live, unless its as a sound module only...although having said that i suppose you could run, say, a psr's midi out to this unit and get it playing the superb es sounds but with the psr arranger data...(no good for me as i already have a s90es, and i actually need the arranger data not the sounds!!)
cheers
dennis

#109730 - 02/12/07 06:41 PM Re: Yamaha MM6 "MiniMo" Arrived!
miden Offline

here's some info form the yamaha forums site, from phil clendenin....
"It does not have the capability to Load a MIDI file. You can playback a 16 Part MIDI file from an external sequencer and the MM6 will be able to play it back - but it has no ability to load a MIDI file. You can Load that MIDI file to Cubase LE using the IMPORT > MIDI FILE option, and play it to the MM6.

It does not appear in the Load screen because you cannot load it. You can only load a file you make with MM6 - USER SONG."
hope that helps
dennis

[This message has been edited by miden (edited 02-12-2007).]

#109731 - 02/12/07 11:47 PM Re: Yamaha MM6 "MiniMo" Arrived!
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
"It does not have the capability to Load a MIDI file. You can playback a 16 Part MIDI file from an external sequencer and the MM6 will be able to play it back - but it has no ability to load a MIDI file.
You can only load a file you make with MM6 - USER SONG."
hope that helps
dennis

this is not good.SMF playback with no outboard gear could've save the day for most seq only gigs/live.

#109732 - 02/13/07 01:01 AM Re: Yamaha MM6 "MiniMo" Arrived!
George V Offline

Loc: Sofia
Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
here's some info form the yamaha forums site, from phil clendenin....
"It does not have the capability to Load a MIDI file. You can only load a file you make with MM6 - USER SONG."
hope that helps
dennis

Ha-ha! So it is actually a sound module. Despite the mega sounds it is far more limited than the new PSR S500 which sells for only $100 more.

#109733 - 02/13/07 01:33 AM Re: Yamaha MM6 "MiniMo" Arrived!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Can't do hiphop on a PSR......

Looks like some of us will be digging out our old Datadisks!

#109734 - 02/13/07 03:16 AM Re: Yamaha MM6 "MiniMo" Arrived!
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
So far I am not impressed.

Ian

------------------
Cha d’dhùin doras nach d’fhosgail doras.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online